Sunday, January 17, 2010

Week 2 Application- Classmate Critique

I subscribed to quite a few of blogs that my cohorts shared, but one that I found quite useful was http://www.langevin.com/blog/. It contains a wide variety of information in addition to being a blog. Since Langevin is a company that trains trainers I found it gave a "360" view, if you will, of what happens from all directions.

Denise mentioned the blog "The Why, What, Who, What, and How of Instructional Design" both in her assignment last week and as a comment for my discussion this week. I read it, and also found it to be a great outline that explained the planning process simplistically while still being informative. This is a concept that I currently use to some degree, but I plan to remember this strategy now as a facilitator and in the future as an Instructional Designer. However, s a GED facilitator I must ask my use that outline in a slightly different manner because much that process in inherent in the program itself.

Why- I, and my colleague are teaching as a part of a non-profit to help a community in need. This part is inherent.

What- What is happening within the program now and how is going to change over time? This can come from both internal and external factors.

Who- The participants are low-income individuals without a high school diploma. Their needs must be addressed and taken into consideration.

What- What level are they entering in at? What can I (we) do to help them learn at their greatest potential? They are all learning the same material; the difference is based on what level they enter at.

How- How can this class be most effective and most efficient? How can we make sure they stay in the program and achieve their goal(s)?

I read more from this site including "My Most Difficult Learner." While reading this I noticed, Jose the Trainer, used this process as he dealt with a difficult situation with to attendees at a particular session. This outline of why, what, who, what, and how has many applications for many situations, it just needs to be tweaked based on what the situation is and the individuals involved.

One thing that I do not agree with completely is that by following this process your learners will learn how to do their jobs better every time. Although it is a good outline, it is not the end-all-be-all, because there are always exceptions to the rule. In addition, I see this as a process that can be done out of order and even have to be done over again, if the situation is not analyzed properly the first time around.

Jennifer


 

No comments:

Post a Comment